viernes, 28 de marzo de 2008

How do you react when changes happen?

Are you afraid of change?

I myself normally resist change and I believe there are some of you who are like me. Perhaps changes are not as bad as we imagine and since we cannot stop these changes happening, then we may learn to face then in a better way and see the benefits of new circumstances and experiences.

We are going to work with a text and a video called "Who moved my cheese". It is based in the same book by Spencer Johnson.
This book is a simple parable that tells an amusing story of 4 characters who live in a maze* and look for cheese to nourish* them and make them happy. They represent the way different people behave when they face change in their life.

In this parable* cheese is a metaphor for what we want to have in life: a job, love, friends, money, a big house, freedom, health, recognition, etc.
And the maze represents where you spend time looking for what you want.
The 4 characters are *Sniff, Scurry, Hem and Haw*


* Parable - parábola.
* maze - laberinto
* nourish - nutrirse, alimentarse
* scurry (apresurarse), sniff (husmear), hem (cohibir), hem and haw (vacilar)

YOUR TASK:

1. First, we will read this summary , and order the key events of the parable according to the story and the video. We will work with it in the classroom later.

2. Next, watch the video as many times as you need to understand it. Take a note on your notebook of the statements Haw writes on the wall, and translate them.
You can also have a look at this excerpt from the book.



3. After that we will work with this presentation and will transform as many statements as you can into conditional sentences (we will revise this exercise in the classroom).






4. Finally, in pairs, think of a situation where a change takes place in your life. Each of you will play a role (scurry, sniff, hem or haw) and then you will write together about what you would do if you were one of those characters in that situation. Bring your comments to the classroom, then you will have to write them on the blog.

5 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

We moved to Peru to help orphan children or children whit problems.
If we were Scurry we would look for meal and water for them. We would try that the children were happy and we would do that they would enjoy whit us.
I we were Hem, we would think to come back soon because we wouldn't have a good time there. We wouldn't feel proud of ourselves.




.....Laura & Mari.....

Anónimo dijo...

I moved other country to get a new job.
If I werw Scurry I would talk to many people to learn the language quickly and I would do new friends, and with them we would find a beautiful house.
If I were Sniff I would spend some days in the country I would learn the language, I would look for a new house and I would prepare oll Things that I can need in my new city.

*_NaTi_*

Anónimo dijo...

One day, when I arrived at home from the office, my house was burning.
If I were Snif, I would think in my new situation and I would telephone to the fire insurance. Then, I would investigate the cause of the fire. The fire insurance would to investigate it too. In spite of the incident, I wouldn´t be nervious, and I would find a new house.
If I were scurry:
I would search a new one quickly. I would speak to my parents to solve the problem. I would buy a new one and new furniture. I would work a lot because I was going to pay off. I would organize my life with my family again.

Rosa y Miguel

Daniel Kelsan dijo...

We changed at new school...

If I were Hem, I wouldn't do anything because the school is so scaried, I wouldn't be more friendly because it's so tired to meet new people, I wouldn't be a good student because I don't like study, it's very boring!I would sleep when I'm in to the classroom and I wouldn't do the exercises.

If I were Scurry, I would study, I would make new friends, I would be happy, I would talk with all the people and I would do new activities.


Zina & Mónica

Anónimo dijo...

One day,when I arrived at home from the center...my house was flooding.
If I were Scurry,I would phone the fireman.I would clean my house.I would go out.I would dry my house.I would take out the water of my house.
If I were Hem I would cry put.I would search a house lament..I would be sad.I would cry.If were Hem I would shoat at me.


___Ainhoa & Belén___